I have changed my diet and I started to exercise, so why is my cholesterol still high?

This week's question was from Fran in Fresno: I have changed my diet and I started to exercise, so why is my cholesterol is still high?

Jeff Herr, Doctor of Pharmacy

Only about 20 percent of blood cholesterol comes from diet. The other 80 percent is made by your body, primarily in your liver. Heredity and age have an important role in the amount of cholesterol your body makes. Some people can even eat high amounts of cholesterol and still maintain a low blood cholesterol level. Because you have made the necessary lifestyle changes to lower your blood cholesterol and still have high levels, it is time to consider taking medication. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist to understand the many different options you have.

Last Updated Friday, July 18, 2014 - 09:10 AM.