When it comes to the products we sell, The Save Mart Companies chooses vendors and suppliers that share our commitment to high standards. They must operate ethical environments and produce safe, high-quality products. The Company understands its business activities impact the Earth. We’re committed to a number of sustainable practices and hope to add more initiatives that help us do our part. With more than 200 stores, what we do has a measurable impact. In 2016, we diverted more than 85% of the stores’ waste out of landfills each year.
- Composting: The Save Mart Companies was one of the first grocers to compost back in 1997. For 2016, we composted 19,636 tons of food scraps. In partnership with California Safe Soil, the Company is moving to new technology that transforms our organic waste into liquid fertilizer in three hours … a much quicker process than the way composting has been done.
- Cardboard Recycling: 36,000 tons
- Soft Plastics Recycling: 961 tons
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: 33 charging stations in 15 cities, and growing
- Trucking: Our distribution centers use state-of-the art software that helps cut down on emissions by mapping out the best delivery routes and avoiding unnecessary miles. All of our trucks are also on compliant with California Air Resources Board standards.